Landlord Application Instructions for Tax Deferment
Filing Deadline - February 1, 2021
Executive Order 7S (Section 6c): Eligibility of Landlords. EO 7S.6c establishes the following eligibility criteria for landlords or taxpayers that rent or lease to commercial, residential, or institutional tenants or lessees (see application) (“Landlord”):
Residential landlords must submit an email to email@example.com by February 1, 2021 stating they are complying with Executive Order 9R in order to take advantage of the deferment. Approvals for deferment will be provided with a confirmation receipt email from the Tax Collector.
The commercial landlord must provide documentation to the municipality that:
- the property being taxed has, or will, suffer a significant income or revenue decline, or;
- commensurate forbearance was offered to the tenants or lessees. Per OPM Guidance: “Landlords are subject to auditing and may be asked by their municipality to provide their tenants’ names and contact information, or other information identified by the municipality to confirm eligibility.” “Commensurate forbearance” for purposes of the tax deferment means, either:
- deferral of 25% of rent (approximating the property tax portion of rent) for the ninety (90) days from the due date;
- deferral of one month’s rent to be paid over the 90-day period; or
- forbearance substantially similar to (a) or (b) as determined by the tax collector.
Landlords of commercial properties may satisfy these requirements with an application and documentation listed above with required application form provided by OPM.
Click here to complete application.
Upon review of your application the Tax Collector's Office will provide confirmation of your deferment.
Instructions for submitting application:
Via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org with accompanying substantiating paperwork with application.
Via Mail: Completed applications and substantiating paperwork to be submitted to 61 Echo Lake Road, Watertown CT 06795 or put in the drop box located on the front of the New Town Hall.
Filing deadline is February 1, 2021.
Any questions, please contact the Tax Collector at 860.945.5232 or email email@example.com.