Welcome to Watertown, CT
Home /
Sign Up To Receive Watertown Notifications
Click Here For Watertown Town Mapping

Old Baird Rd (off of Hamilton Avenue)

September 1 – May 30 – Regular Hours

OPEN - Thursday 8 A.M. – 4 P.M.

            Saturday 8 A.M. – 2 P.M.

June 1 – August 30 – Summer Hours

OPEN - Thursday 7 A.M. – 3 P.M.

            Saturday 7A.M. – 1 P.M. 

Please contact the Public Works Department at (860) 945-5240 if you have any questions regarding this matter.  The facility is open for Watertown residential wastes only.  A permit is required to use the facility, except for free electronics disposal.  A complete list of materials accepted and any applicable fees is available at the DPW or may be reviewed on-line at www.watertownct.org

PROPER DISPOSAL OF SMOKE DETECTORS: http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2718&q=325496&deepNav_GID=1645%20#Smoke

Transfer Station FAQ’s

What is the difference between a transfer station sticker and a transfer station coupon?

A dump sticker proves that you are a town resident, allowing you to use the transfer station. It is usually placed on the driver’s side windshield so it is visible to the transfer station attendant. Otherwise, without a sticker, residents from other towns might try to use the transfer station on the Watertown taxpayer’s dime. When requesting a dump sticker, you will need proof of residency, which is usually your license, as well as your plate number for tracking. The dump coupons are bought in amounts according to what you have to dispose of.

Is there a cost for the stickers and item disposals?  Annual stickers are $20 with proof of residency.

Can I pay for the stickers at the transfer station?

Yes, and also at the Tax Collector’s, Public Works offices and the Town Hall Annex between 9:00 am & 4:30 pm.

What forms of payment are accepted?

Cash or check (made payable to the Town of Watertown)

Are there expiration dates on the stickers and coupons?

The stickers are good for a one-year period (until Dec.1st), at which time new stickers will be available.

Is there a list of acceptable items that can be taken to the transfer station available to residents?

The fee schedule is posted on the website for your convenience and can be downloaded by clicking here or you can obtain a copy from the Public Works office. Hard copies are also available during regular business hours at the Engineering office located at 61 Echo Lake Road and at the Transfer Station during operating hours. You may also call the Engineering office at 860-945-5240 between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm M-F and request a copy to be mailed.

Are there any items that are free to bring to the transfer station?

Yes, provided you have purchased a permit sticker for the transfer station.

Non-fee items include: used motor oil, antifreeze, car batteries, leaves and some brush (in brown bio-degradable bags), newspaper, aluminum cans, glass bottles, recyclable plastics. used clothing, electronics.

Can I bring Household Hazardous waste to the transfer station?

No. However, the Town, being a part of the Naugatuck Valley Council of Governments (COG) sponsors drop-off days at various locations in the district for these types of items at no charge to the resident. You only need to provide proof of residency, usually your driver’s license. Drop off dates and times and a list of acceptable/non-acceptable items will be listed on the website and in the local paper.

Can I bring electronics to the Transfer Station? Yes.

Why do I have to pay for brush?

You pay for brush to defray the cost of grinding the brush. The D.E.P. does not allow us to burn it anymore. The wood chips from the grinding are available to residents at no cost.

Can I take my household garbage to the Transfer Station and how much does it cost?

Yes. the fee schedule is here.

Why doesn’t the Town have curbside pickup for larger items like couches, stoves, refrigerator’s etc?

The Town Highway Dept. does not have enough staff or time for this large cleanup, and it would be very costly to pay an independent hauler to do it.

Do the Transfer Station fees cover all the costs for operating the facility?

No, the operation is subsidized by the Town.

What happens to the leaves left at the Transfer Station?

They are composted and reused by the town.

The Town of Watertown Department of Public Works is pleased to announce that the transfer station located at Old Baird Road has free mulch available to residents with a valid transfer station permit.

Grass Clippings

The Town of Watertown Public Works Department (DPW) would like to announce to the public that it has received a permit from the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) for the collection of grass clippings at the Hamilton Avenue Transfer Station.  Authorized permit holders may bring grass clippings to the facility during regular hours for disposal.  The clippings may be brought in loose or in biodegradable bags and placed in the leaf pile.  Plastic bags or containers may not be left in pile and must be properly disposed of.  The Transfer Station is located on Old Baird Road, off of Hamilton Avenue.   

Leaf Disposal 

The Town of Watertown Public Works Department (DPW) would like to remind the public that it will accept leaves from town residents at the transfer station during regular business hours, as long as they are not from a commercial firm. There is no fee for this service. The leaves should be transported to the transfer station and then deposited in the designated piles. All paper and plastic bags or other containers should be removed from the transfer station upon leaf disposal.  The leaves will eventually be processed and turned into loam for use in the town. The Transfer Station is located on Old Baird Road, off of Hamilton Avenue.

If you have any questions regarding the program, please contact the Public Works Department at (860) 945-5240.

News Release

The Town of Watertown Department of Public Works is pleased to announce that the municipal recycling program has been expanded, again. The list of recyclables that is now accepted by the Materials Innovation and Recycling Authority now includes shredded paper. Clean, shredded paper may now be placed with junk mail and newspaper in paper bags or corrugated boxes and left curbside with the other recyclables or dropped off at the transfer station located on Old Baird Road. This specifically excludes any kind of non-paper bag or envelope, i.e. plastic or Tyvek as these materials cause problems with the material handling equipment.

There is no charge to residents at the Transfer Station with a valid permit. Proof of residency, such as a driver's license, tax bill or other identification, is required for entrance.

In addition to providing a significant environmental benefit, the goal of the program is to reduce costs. MIRA does not charge to dispose of recycled items and sells them on the commodity market. The revenue from these sales is then used to help reduce the disposal price of regular municipal solid waste.